5 Ways to Better your Golf Game Before Hitting the Green
Here are 5 of our favorite golf workouts and exercises to improve your game—from anywhere!
The weakest part of most golfers’ bodies is the part they need most: the core. Without strong, pliable muscles in your stomach, hips, butt and lower back, you can’t make a golf swing that is both powerful and technically sound.
A lot of these golf exercises can be done from anywhere- Give them a try!
1. HIP CROSSOVERS
HOW TO DO IT:
- Lie face up on a yoga mat or on the ground, arms stretched straight to your sides.
- Rotate your bent legs to the left first until they touch the ground.
- Repeat step number two to the other side.
- Do 6 repetitions for each direction. (1 SET, 10 REPS, EACH DIRECTION)
2. GLUTE BRIDGES
Why it works: The extended position is very similar to the position a golfer gets in when thrusting the hips toward the target through impact.This is a great exercise for the glutes, and it also strengthens the hamstrings and lower back.
HOW TO DO IT:
- Lie face up with your arms out to your sides, knees bent, and your toes off the ground.
- Squeeze your glutes (butt muscles) and thrust your hips upward until your body is in a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. (3 SETS, 10 REPS EACH)
3. LATERAL SQUAT
Why it works: The legs play such a key role in providing power for the golf swing but they need to be more elastic and powerful. This exercise stretches the hip adductors (inside of the thigh), glutes, groin, hamstrings and strengthens the quads. Lateral squats also build the lower part of the core.
HOW TO DO IT:
- Stand with your feet spread slightly wider than the shoulders. Shift your hips to the right and down by bending your right knee and keeping your left leg straight. Your feet should be pointing straight ahead and flat on the ground.
- Push through the right hip, returning to the starting position. Then shift your hips to the left and repeat the exercise in the other direction. (1 SET, 10 REPS, EACH DIRECTION)
*Be sure to keep your knee on the squat side behind your toes, your back flat and your chest up.
4. BACKWARD LUNGE WITH TILT
Why it works: This exercise stretches the hip flexors, the glutes, the groin area and the oblique muscles (sides of the torso). Without flexibility in these areas, you wouldn’t be able to rotate your upper body very well during the backswing or through to the finish.
- Step backward with your right foot into a lunge position, and contract your right glute.
- Reach your right hand over your head and laterally crunch your torso to the left.
- Return to the starting position.
- Switch legs, and repeat. (1 SET, 10 REPS, EACH LEG)
5. WORLD’S GREATEST STRETCH
Why it works: The name says it all. This lengthens nearly every muscle in the core and also the key ones attached such as the hamstrings, upper back, etc. This stretch will increase the amount a golfer can turn.
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Stand with your back straight, arms to your sides. Step forward with your left leg, and lower your body into a lunge. As you go down, place your right hand on the floor so it’s even with your left foot. Make sure to keep your back knee off the ground and to contract the glutes.
2. Now move your left elbow inside your left foot, and rest it on the floor. Square your hips so you feel a stretch on both sides. Try to keep your back as flat as possible.
3. Move your left hand outside your left foot and twist your left arm and chest to reach for the sky as far as you can. Hold for two seconds. Bonus Stretch: Try to pull the toes of your left foot up towards your shin.
4. Take your elbow back and down toward your instep and reach through to your opposite side. Place your left hand outside your left foot and repeat. (1 SET, 10 REPS, EACH DIRECTION)
Please do these exercises at your own pace.
These exercises are intended to increase mobility and strength. A “stretching pain” is okay, as you are lengthening and extending, but pulsating pain should NOT occur. If such discomfort persists, make an Online Appointment with us!
We are able to create an individualized home exercise or treatment program JUST FOR YOU using our Telemedicine system!